Pages

Thursday 16 May 2019

Drill gauge




What I was aiming for:  
I was aiming to make a drill gauge that was similar to this but with only made for 8 different sized drill bits. The measurements were 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm, 6.8mm, 8mm, and 10mm.











What I used to mark out and measure my work:

 
      Engineers Square                  Spring Divider                             Scribe
      By using this I could             This helped me find                I used this to mark out
       make sure that the                 and mark out the                   the lines on my metal
       edges on the metal                center of my work           after applying engineers blue
           were straight              

 
                  Ruler                             Micrometer                              Vernier 
      I used this to make sure      I used this to make sure       I used this to more accurately
      that my metal was the          that the drill bit I was        measure the length of my metal
              correct size                 using, was the right size.         and measure the drill bit.


Hammer and Center Punch:
I used the hammer and center punch to
center punch holes on the areas where I was going to drill. I did this to give the point of the drill a place to lock onto. This prevented my metal from sliding out and end up drilling the wrong place.

Engineers blue:
After cleaning up my piece of metal, I put this over it to make it easier to mark out my lines.









Machines that I used:

   Buffing Machine:                   Drill Press:         I used this to polish               I used this to Drill     my work and make it           the different sized                  Shiny.                        holes on my work.


What tools I learned to use during this project:


About a Vernier:
Verniers are tools used to accurately measure the diameter and sometimes the depth of material. They have main jaws used to measure the external diameter, smaller jaws that are used to measure the internal diameter, and sometimes has a depth rod to measure the depth/length of your material. The method of using the jaws for measuring diameter is simple. All you have to do is put an object in between the jaws and then tighten until both jaws are on the object. Then, you just read the measurement on the scale and you're done. You now have the measurement of the diameter.





About a Micrometer:
The micrometer is used to measure the internal diameter of an object. A measurement is obtained
by measuring the space between the anvil and the spindle. Twisting the thimble moves the spindle
towards the anvil or away from it. The rachet does the same thing, except it is used for more precise
movement. To take a measurement an object is placed in between the anvil and the spindle. Once
the object is placed, turn the thimble until both the anvil and the spindle makes contact with the
object. Then turn the rachet for fine-tuning. After that, all you have to do is read the measurement of
the sleeve.

5 comments:

  1. Daniel i think this blog is good tier its got images and lots o writing.
    i got nothing to rip on so yeah good job boss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well detailed
    Good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Daniel i love way u set out your blog it was easy to read and the information was really clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Danny! Thats some good work i like it, Its looking good. -Down

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.